Newsletter of the International Society of Root Research, December 2020
Dear Members of the International Society of Root Research,
We would like to welcome you to the ISRR newsletter, designed to stimulate global communication and advancement of plant root science and inform you about ongoing activities within the root research community and the ISRR. Feel free to share this newsletter with others, ISRR members and non-members.
Feature article: Joint Online meetings of ISRR11 (11th Symposium of the International Society of Root Research) and ROOTING2021 (9th International Symposium on Root Development)
By Bob Sharp and Malcolm Bennett, on behalf of the Organizing Committees
The organizing committees of Rooting 2021 (https://rooting2021.com) and ISRR11 (http://isrr11.org/) have decided to hold both meetings as virtual-only conferences next year, 24-28 May 2021. As addressed earlier, several sessions will be shared and as much live interaction as feasible is a major aim. To achieve this, the different time zones of participants will be considered as much as possible.
A full meeting launch including information on registration time lines, costs, poster and abstract guidelines, etc. is expected for January 2021.
The Organizing Committees,
- De Bauw et al. 2020: “A functional-structural model of upland rice root systems reveals the importance of laterals and growing root tips for phosphate uptake from wet and dry soils” (doi:10.1093/aob/mcaal120)
- Jha et al. 2020: “Long non-coding RNAs: emerging players regulating plant abiotic stress response and adaptation” (doi:10.1186/s12870-020-02595-x)
- Bodner et al. 2019: “Characterization of cover crop rooting types from integration of rhizobox imaging and root atlas information” (doi:10.3390/plants8110514)
- Upcoming book release “Understanding and improving crop root function” edited by Prof Peter Gregory, former President of the ISRR. The publisher Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing has offered to give all ISRR members an exclusive discount on the Hardback version of the book (ISBN-13: 9781786763600). Please see the news section for discount details.
Please nominate a recent publication from your group for featuring in the following newsletter!
Other interesting meetings upcoming next year
- 8th International Symposium on Root Structure and Function in the High Tatras mountain region of the Slovak Republic, on 12-16 Sept 2021 (conference website)
Please let us know if another interesting conference, ideally featuring a section about roots, is coming up so that we can promote the meeting on our website and in the next newsletters.
Follow ISRR News on Twitter account @RootScientists
News from ISRR members is featured on Twitter in an account hosted jointly with the International Plant Phenotyping Network (IPPN) Root Phenotyping Working Group. Have a look for insights into ongoing root research and phenotyping, shared by members of either group and feel free to tweet and retweet us!
We wish you peaceful and healthy 2021 and hope to see many of you (virtually) at ISRR11 & ROOTING2021.
If you would like to announce something or give feedback to the newsletter or the web site, please write an email to our official address (firstname.lastname@example.org). Of course you can also retract your agreement to receiving this e-bulletin in the future.
Dr. Josefine Kant (née Nestler) and Prof. Michelle Watt, ISRR President,
On behalf of the ISRR Executive and Executive Secretary Ulrike Mathesius